VFI develops a range of adjuvants and provides expertise for the optimisation of vaccine formulations suitable for preclinical and clinical testing.
VFI can provide a range of adjuvants based on oil-in-water emulsions, liposomes, or mineral salts, suitable for preclinical use. Provision of VFI’s adjuvants is accompanied by advice and guidance on how to formulate and evaluate them.
VFI can evaluate and optimise adjuvanted vaccine formulations to improve formulation stability and the quality of immune responses induced by vaccine candidates.
This can include:
- Formulation of antigens in combination with various adjuvant systems under different experimental conditions
- Assessment of the compatibility and stability of vaccine formulations, and evaluation of their physical, chemical, and biological properties
- Development of analytical techniques relating to antigen characterization in the formulation, including but not restricted to adsorption or encapsulation rates, antigen integrity/stability evaluation, detection and quantification of adjuvants, loading rate in vaccine delivery systems, physico-chemical properties, particle-size evaluation, formulation quality control
- Support of partners with the preclinical development of their adjuvanted vaccine candidates
- Evaluation of the immunogenicity parameters in immunogenicity studies in vivo
VFI can assist with adjuvant manufacturing and quality control. Assays, technology, and equipment can be transferred to manufacturers, followed up by installation and training at VFI or on-site where needed.
VFI can run both theoretical and practical training courses on adjuvants and vaccine formulation. Both types of course are organized on a regular basis, but courses can also be customized upon request.